Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Curls Unleashed 'Take Command Curl Defining Creme'

Hi Beauties,

Here is a quick product review of a moisturizer from then Curls Unleashed line.

A few months ago I purchased the Curls Unleashed 'Take Command Curl Defining Creme' from Target for about $14.99. I was excited to try it becasue I have used and loved other products from this line.



Description on bottle:
This product is made with coconut, sweet almond and safflower oils and other ingredients. Helps shine, define and moisturize your curls without shrinkage. Great for twists, twistouts, coiling, freestyles, shingling and updo's.
  • Perfect for curly and kinky textures
  • Free of SD alcohol, parabens and mineral oil
  • BPA free

First impressions:
I first applied the thick creme' to my 2 or 3 day old twist out for a little moisture boost. I distrubuted the Curl Defining Creme' throughout my hair, added a light oil, and slept in a bonnet. My hair did NOT feel moisturized in the morning, but instead still felt quite dry. Naturally I tried again adding a little more of the creme and light oil. The results were slightly better but still not great.

The next time I used the product was on damp hair. I applied the creme' over leave in conditioner and instead of using a light oil I used some heavy duty Jamaican Black Castor oil to seal in moisture for a twist out. The results were far better that time around. My hair felt soft and much more moisturized.





Pros:
My hair was more elongated and, after much effort, was adequately moisturized. Some people may appreciate the fact that it is a paraben free product, however this is not a deal breaker for me.
Cons:
When used alone it did not help with shine and provided little definition. It also took alot of trail and error and effort to have properly moisturized hair. Shouldn't a moisturizer just...moisturize?

Verdict:
I need to be quite heavy handed with this creme' (I feel like an asshole everytime I type creme' instead of cream) in order to get decent results. Also, for my thick, dry hair the creme' should be used in conjunction with a heavy sealant. This product costs about $15.00 in the drugstore which is a little to steep to require extra steps/products, in my opinion. The Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter retails for less than half of the price of this product and works amazingly well on my hair.

For someone with hair that is not as thick or dry this may work. Because I paid for it I will attempt to use the entire16 oz. bottle, but for future reference I will stick to what I know. I will not be repurchasing this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment